National Federation ContestsThe National Federation of State Poetry Societies hold 50 contests each year, many of which are for members only. NMSPS members are eligible for all 50 (one is for youth only). All entries must be postmarked by March 15, 2012. For more information, visit the NFSPS website
NMSPS Convention & Invocation ContestsAs those who have attended previous NFSPS Annual Conventions know, it has become traditional for the hosting state societies to hold two contests: one that celebrates the state or region where the convention is being held and a second contest that provides a "grace" for each meal. These contests are very popular with attendees and they help defray convention expenses for the state societies. They are the only other contests announced at the Annual Conventions, which focus primarily on awarding prizes for the 50 national contests.
1. La Conferencia del Encanto's Convention Poem Contest: Subject is the Land of Enchantment. You may choose any form (except a prose poem), up to 40 lines. Entry fee is $10 for up to three poems. First Prize is $100, 2nd is $50, 3rd is $25.
2. NFSPS Invocation Poems: Subject is a poem of thanks, appreciation, or inspiration. No expression of denominational religious belief, please. Entry fee is $5 per poem, no limit. Six winners will receive $25 each and will read their poems just prior to lunch or dinner on June 14-16.
Poems are limited to 10 lines, compiled from the following forms: couplet; haiku or tercet; quatrain; cinquain, limerick, or tanka; sestet or 6-line Fibonacci; septet or rime royal. You may mix and/or match, but please identify the form used in each verse.
Rules common to both contests:
- No poet may win more than one prize in each contest and must attend the convention to win.
- Deadline for postmarked entries is May 1, 2013.
- Make checks for entry fees payable to New Mexico SPS - Contest.
- Send 2 copies of each poem, one with name, address, phone, and email in upper right-hand corner, and the other (judge.s copy) with no contact information to:
Convention Contest Chair
1217 Espejo St. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87112-5215
Pay by check or online:
$10 for up to tgree (3) Land of Enchantment poems
$5 each for an unlimited number of Invocation poems